Sunday, April 28, 2013

Pass the dictionary please. I think you need another helping.

Pass the dictionary please. I think you need another helping.

I admit it. I am a "Grammar Snob". I cringe when I see a misspelled word. I want to gouge my eyes and ears out when someone uses improper English. I am guilty of mentally correcting someone's spelling on facebook, pinterest, someecards, and even church bulletins. Don't get me wrong. I would never actually call them out on it.


I'm not sure when I became such a snob. Maybe it was when my children were young and I was one of those pioneering homeschool moms. I was a slave driver as a teacher. My poor children never knew what a snow day was until they were in jr. high. If they weren't too sick to watch television, then they weren't too sick to do their school work. They knew that they didn't do anything else until their work was completed. Those were our rules.


Perhaps I pushed them so hard because I was all too aware of those homeschooling families that "played" school. I didn't want to be accused of being one of them. My kids didn't need a field trip every week and they certainly didn't need a play date in place of their education. I was all too aware that we were being constantly watched and scrutinized by those who thought children needed to be taught by licensed teachers. I didn't buy into the whole "It takes a village" then and I still don't.

It was also during this time that the public schools were bouncing back and forth with whole language vs. phonics. I knew that I wanted my children to excel in reading and I didn't believe that was possible without a strong phonics program.


It was important to me that my children worked hard and finished well. I wanted them to learn how to be successful adults one day. They haven't disappointed me. Reading was a huge deal in our home. We had our own little library overflowing with books for every age, which our granddaughters are now enjoying.


I couldn't be more proud of my kids today. They survived their tyrant mom K-12 and have continued to learn as adults. As for the rest of you, watch your "P"s and "Q"s (as well as their, there, they're, your, you're, two, to, and too). ;)







No comments:

Post a Comment